Laboratory Science T-Level
Why study this course?
16+ students with an inquisitive mind and love of science will discover that this T-Level course provides a fascinating look at science in an industry setting and provides a route into a range of Post-18 pathways. You could choose to progress onto an undergraduate degree course, continue industry linked learning through a degree apprenticeship or use the valuable skills and experience you have gained to enter straight into employment within the science sector such as healthcare, patient diagnosis and pharmaceuticals.
The T-Level Technical qualification in Laboratory Science is a new industry backed 2 year qualification the equivalent of three A-levels. This stimulating course has been designed with employers to bring the classroom and workplace together through a mixture of technical and core scientific knowledge. You will then have the opportunity to apply this knowledge during a 45 day industry placement, allowing you to put the theory in to practice. This collaboration with industry is integral throughout the course and will enhance your employability by providing you with the skills and knowledge necessary to work within, and meet the demands of, this ever growing industry sector. See Our Partners tab for more information.
Over 125+ higher education providers have confirmed T-Levels are suitable for entry, including 80+ Universities. Depending on your overall grade you might decide you wish to apply to University, study a degree apprenticeship or join the world of work.
What will I learn?
The T-Level is split into two parts (known as components).
In the Core Component you will learn about the Health and Science industry through the following topics:
- Working within the health and Science sector
- Ethical, scientific and clinical practices
- Experimental equipment and techniques
- Advanced Science concepts that build upon GCSE understanding
- Legislation and regulatory requirements
- Work place context
- Data and security
The core component also includes an employer set project designed to develop a range of transferable skills including project management, problem solving, team working and innovation skills.
The Occupational Specialist Component is where you’ll develop the laboratory skills you will need for your career in the industry. In this component you will:
- Perform a range of scientific techniques to collect experimental data in a laboratory setting.
- Plan, review and implement improvements to scientific methodologies.
- Gain an understanding of industry regulations and requirements
- Use data to identify and resolve problems and form conclusions
1800 hours over two years to include:
- Core Component
- Paper A: The Health and Science Sector
- Paper B: Science concepts
- Employer set project
- Occupational specialist component
- Four externally set assignments
- Industry placement with an employer (315 hours/45 days)
- As part of the T-Level you will be placed with a Health and Science employer to gain some valuable work experience applying some of the skills you learn in the lab and classroom, in the workplace
Further information can be found in the presentation from our Sixth Form open evening below:
Laboratory Science T-Level
Please refer to Entry Requirements for admission criteria for this course.
View a T-Levels employer case study in the Laboratory Science sector:
Further information about this T-Level is available on HM Government website.
Related Blog Posts
Last week Capgemini came to Ada Lovelace school to host a fantastic workshop with our Y12 T Level students, focussing on design thinking and problem solving.
Students were shown how to effectively come up with new and innovative ideas, responding to a task brief. They were then taught how to…
This morning, Amazon visited Ada Lovelace school and delivered an assembly to the Upper school. Our digital T-Level students listened to an inspiring talk about T Levels and apprenticeships. It reinforced the opportunities T Levels can provide - the chance to gain real work experience and nurture…
3 of our Digital T-Levels students have started a 6 week work placement at digital communications technology firm Cisco.
Our students went through a rigorous recruitment process to secure the placement, submitting an application and cover letter followed by an online interview.